Life, law, leadership, public service, and Black Gen X reflection — delivered with honesty, clarity, and heart.
7 reasons to open your own business
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
How many times have you found yourself wondering if you should start your own business? Whether you realize it or not, you may be getting signs telling you to try it. Here are some things that may be telling you that you should start your own business.
UPDATE (4/10/2021): Never underestimate the signs telling you that you should explore the possibility of starting your own business.
When people talk about college, they often focus on the success story — the dream school, the scholarships, the 4.0 GPA. That wasn’t my story. I didn’t attend the University of Tampa because it was my first choice. I went there because I wanted to prove something — to a high school professor who didn’t think much of me. I turned down opportunities that made more financial sense, including a potential ROTC scholarship, for a private school that offered me just a small leadership grant. I told myself I’d make it work. What I didn’t realize then was that this wasn’t just a college experience. It was the first crossroad in my life — the one that taught me how to keep moving even when confidence was nowhere in sight. Surviving, Not Thriving When I got to campus, my finances were a patchwork of faith and luck — a Pell Grant, a leadership award, and a loan co-signed by my grandmother. I didn’t have backup. I didn’t have a plan. By the end of my first semester, I was already debating whe...
Intro: We’ve all heard someone say, “I’m not trying to make new friends.” On the surface, it can sound antisocial or dismissive. But if you’re in your 40s or beyond, that phrase starts to carry a whole new weight. It’s not about shutting people out—it’s about recognizing the power of relationships that have been built over decades. Listen to the Full Podcast Below: Listen to "Friends After 40: Why Your Circle Shrinks But Grows Deep" on Spreaker. Friends from the Beginning of Adulthood Friendships you start in your teens or early 20s come with a different energy. These are the people who were there during your first job, first apartment, first heartbreak, first real success. They were becoming adults alongside you. By the time you reach 40, something strange and powerful happens: You’ve now known those friends longer than you haven’t. That changes everything. Why Foundational Friendships Hit Different at 40+ Friendships at this stage aren’t casual. They’ve survive...
When people ask me about my time at the University of Tampa, I usually tell them it was the best three and a half years of my life. What I don't always tell them is that I almost never got to experience those years. If you've followed my Black Generation X stories, you've probably heard me talk about my first semester in college. It was rough. I dealt with overcrowded dorm rooms, roommate issues, culture shock, loneliness, and even found myself hitchhiking home after getting stranded in Orlando. Every new challenge made me question whether I had made the right decision by leaving Arkansas. By the end of that first semester, I wasn't just homesick. I was evaluating whether I even belonged there. Then Spring 1988 arrived. Sometimes Your Environment Changes Before Your Mind Does One of the biggest changes wasn't academic. It was my living situation. I moved out of the tiny room that had been designed for one student but housed three of us. Instead, I became roommates w...
Comments
Post a Comment