I Was Prepared for the Work but Not the Loneliness


Nobody ever told me how lonely it could be to begin professional life on my own.

We spend years preparing people for the work. We tell them to finish school, earn the degree, complete the training, build the resume, and get the job. But we do not always prepare them for what happens when the structure that carried them through one stage of life suddenly disappears.

When I began my first professional job in Tallahassee, Florida, in April 1992, I was prepared to work. What I had not prepared for was the loneliness that came with starting that chapter by myself.


College Came With a Built In Community

Leaving high school for college did not introduce me to that kind of loneliness. Most of the people I knew were moving into familiar groups. Some went into the military. Some entered the workforce or technical programs. Others went to college. Even when our paths were different, we understood that we were all beginning something new.

During my four years at the University of Tampa, I built more than an academic life. I built a personal infrastructure. I had classmates, college friends, fraternity brothers, and people I could depend on. We were navigating the same stage of life together, so there was always someone nearby who understood the experience.

College gave me a community without requiring me to consciously create one. I did not realize how important that was until it was gone.


The Loneliness Was Delayed

Even after graduation, several transitions protected me from immediately feeling alone. I spent that summer working at the University of Tampa, which allowed me to remain in a familiar environment for a few more months. Some of my friends and fraternity brothers were still in the area, so the community I had built did not disappear overnight.

Later that year, I attended the Chemical Officer Basic Course at Fort McClellan. Once again, I was surrounded by people going through the same experience. We were new college graduates, new Army officers, and classmates completing the same training. I was moving forward, but I was still moving forward as part of a group.

When that training ended in February 1992, I returned to Tampa and stayed with a close friend while I searched for work. I slept on his couch, but I was not isolated. I still had someone nearby. I still had familiar places and familiar people around me.

In retrospect, each of those experiences delayed my first real encounter with the loneliness of adult professional life.


Then I Moved to Tallahassee

Everything changed when I accepted my first full time professional job and moved from Tampa to Tallahassee.

I made that move alone. None of my friends came with me. I did not have family in the city. I did not have a local support system or a ready made community. I was not arriving on a college campus or reporting to a training class filled with people who were beginning alongside me. I was going to work.

That distinction mattered more than I expected. At school and in military training, the shared experience naturally created connections. At work, everyone else already had a life. They had families, friendships, routines, and obligations that existed before I arrived. The job brought us together during working hours, but it did not automatically give me a life outside the office.

I was proud to have the job. I was excited to start my career. I was also living in a new city with no personal foundation beneath me. Those feelings existed at the same time.

Prepared for the Work but Not the Silence

The professional transition was only part of what I was experiencing. I was learning a new field, paying my own bills, managing my own apartment, and beginning to understand what it meant to support myself. I had been educated and trained to meet responsibilities. In that sense, I was ready.

What surprised me was what happened after the workday ended. I would leave an office filled with people and return to an apartment where no one was waiting. There were no classmates down the hall, no training group gathering later, and no familiar circle of friends nearby. The community that had quietly supported every previous transition was no longer built into my surroundings.

That was the part nobody had explained to me. Starting a career was not only about learning how to do the job. It was also about learning how to construct a life when the structures that once created belonging were no longer there.

A Different Kind of Readiness

When I talk to young people now, I encourage them to recognize that their first professional transition may challenge them in ways that have nothing to do with their ability to perform the work. They may be qualified, disciplined, and capable and still feel lonely. That feeling does not mean they chose the wrong job or made the wrong move. It may simply mean they are building an adult life without the automatic community they once had.

Starting over requires more than professional confidence. It also requires the willingness to create new routines, make new connections, and give an unfamiliar place enough time to become part of your life.

Looking back, I had already developed more resilience than I understood. My education, military training, friendships, and previous transitions had prepared me to handle uncertainty. I simply did not recognize that emotional adjustment would be part of the assignment.

I was truly prepared for the work. I just wasn't expecting the loneliness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I’m Not Trying to Make New Friends After 40 (And Why That’s Okay)

The Crossroad Before Confidence: How Struggling Through College Taught Me More Than Grades Ever Could

The Power of Finding Peace in Unique Outlets