Making My Masters Degree Make Sense
When I graduated from college, I did not know exactly what I was going to do next, but that uncertainty did not frighten me. College itself had been the milestone. It represented four years of growth from a teenager into a young man. I had developed independence, become a leader, and completed what everyone said was the next logical step toward establishing myself.
There was also an assumption attached to earning a college degree: once you graduated, the world would open up. Even if you did not have a detailed plan, you had accomplished something significant. You were on your way.
Graduate school felt different.
The degree was supposed to change something
By the time I completed my Master of Public Health in industrial hygiene, I was not entering the professional world without experience. I had already been working in safety and health. I believed the graduate degree would enhance that experience and immediately move my career to another level.
In my mind, the degree would speak for itself. I thought opportunities would begin appearing simply because I had earned it. I imagined that doors would open and that my biggest decision would be choosing which one I wanted to walk through.
That is not what happened.
I told the people at my job that I had completed my master's degree. They congratulated me, but there was no promotion, meaningful raise, or dramatic change in my responsibilities. The degree that had consumed so much of my time and energy did not create an immediate professional or financial transformation.
For a while, that left me wondering whether earning it had been worth it.
Graduation was quieter this time
My graduate-school graduation reflected that uncertainty. When I graduated from the University of Tampa, family and friends surrounded me. People who had watched me grow through college were there to celebrate. It felt like the conclusion of an important chapter.
Graduate-school graduation was much quieter. My mother flew in, and a couple of friends from my college days came by. I completed my college's ceremony on Friday and formally graduated in cap and gown on Saturday. On Sunday, my mother boarded a plane and went home. The world simply kept moving.
That quietness magnified the fact that I did not really have a plan beyond earning the degree. I had treated the degree as the plan. Once I possessed it, I expected it to tell me what came next.
I was evaluating the wrong thing
The problem was not that the degree lacked value. The problem was that I was evaluating it by itself.
I was asking, What will this degree do for me? I should have been asking, Who have I become because of everything I have done?
At that point, I had spent a year working in the headquarters office of the Florida Division of Safety and two years working in the field. I had visited small, medium, and large employers. I had seen how different operations functioned, evaluated workplace conditions, and delivered presentations to employers.
Graduate school added technical knowledge to experience I already possessed. My coursework was not disconnected from the workplace. I visited an orange-processing facility, a battery plant, a bakery, and other work environments. I could connect what I was learning in the classroom to what I had already seen in the field.
I was no longer simply a person with a biology degree. I was not merely a safety and health specialist who had acquired another credential. I had become a more complete professional with policy experience, field experience, presentation experience, technical education, and practical knowledge of how employers operated.
But I did not yet know how to explain that combination or leverage it.
A credential does not market itself
That was the lesson I had to learn: education can increase your value without automatically teaching you how to communicate that value.
I was still thinking in terms of plug and play. I assumed I would find another safety and health position, present my new degree, and move forward. I had not stopped to consider that the combination of my degree and experience might qualify me for a more advanced role, a specialized opportunity, or an entirely different professional setting.
I possessed the pieces, but I had not assembled them into a career narrative.
Many people experience something similar. They earn a degree, complete a certification, accept an assignment, develop a skill, or endure a difficult professional season. Because the individual experience does not produce an immediate reward, they assume it did not work.
Sometimes the value is not in the individual piece. The value is in what the pieces become when they are connected.
Ask a better career question
The question I wish I had asked was not simply, What job can I get with this degree?
The better question was, What kind of professional am I now that I have connected this education with everything I have already learned and done?
That question changes the way you see yourself. It moves you away from waiting for a credential to perform magic and forces you to examine the capabilities you have actually built.
What problems can you solve now that you could not solve before? What environments can you enter with confidence? What experience do you possess that makes your education more useful? Who needs the particular combination of skills, knowledge, and perspective that you now bring?
Your next opportunity may not be identified by the title of your degree. It may be found where your education, experience, relationships, and timing intersect.
Some preparation makes sense later
Looking back, my master's degree made sense. It just did not make sense in the immediate way I expected.
The degree was not a button I could push to make better opportunities appear. It was one part of a professional foundation I had been building without fully recognizing it. The headquarters assignment mattered. The fieldwork mattered. The presentations mattered. The graduate courses mattered. Even the uncertainty mattered because it forced me to reconsider how I understood my own value.
Sometimes you are building something that does not make complete sense today but may become essential when the right opportunity appears tomorrow.
The challenge is to stop looking only at the latest credential, job title, or individual experience. Step back and look at the complete professional you have become.
The opportunity may not be obvious yet. But that does not mean the preparation is being wasted.
Your next step
If you are trying to understand what your experience, education, and accumulated skills are preparing you to do next, explore the Career Crossroads Collection from The Anthony Reeves Experience. It was created to help you evaluate where you are, recognize what you have built, and approach your next move with greater clarity.


Comments
Post a Comment