Skip to main content

The Put up or shut up conversation, part I: The OFFICE


 We have all had them.  Some of us have had them more than once.  Whether you call it the “Come to Jesus” conversation or the “Man Up or Woman Up” conversation, it’s the conversation that forces you to take action.   If we’re lucky, we only have it once.  Some of us, more than once.


One of mine came in August of 2007.  


I was at a difficult cross road.   I was working for a law firm.  I had been there for almost 6 years.  I truly enjoyed the working environment, the people and the culture. However, I was in the same position.  I wasn’t sure how close I was to being promoted. I was getting frustrated about my future.  I needed to vent.


So, after having a ‘heart to heart’ conversation with one of my fraternity brothers, Lynwood Bell, he suggested I speak to another Brother and fellow attorney, Brother Larry Hardaway, Esq.


Brother Hardaway is literally the definition of a ‘hometown hero’.  He grew up in Polk County, Florida.  Went to college and law school and then returned to Polk County.  He was a Public Defender for a number of years.  He then opened up his own law firm.  He had represented several high profile cases and was one of only a few black attorneys in Polk County to have their own law firm.  By the time I met him, he had been practicing law for almost 30 years.


So, when I sat down to meet him for lunch, I was ready.  Here is another attorney who would know what I was going through.  


After a few pleasantries, he asked me what was going on and like a water fountain, I let water gush out!  I started grumbling and complaining about my career, my frustrations, and my concerns. I quickly turned the interaction from a conversation into a full blown pity party.


Fortunately for me, Brother Hardaway wasn’t hearing any of that noise.  After a couple of minutes of me rambling without breathing, he stopped me and said “Ok, Brother.  Hold on.  I have an empty office space with it’s own phone line and you can share my receptionist and one of my secretaries.  I won’t charge you anything so you can start your own law firm.”


Wait??


What??


What are you talking about?


This isn’t a gripe session?


You are giving me options??


Start what?


Do who??


In one paragraph, Brother Hardaway had literally disarmed me.  He gave me absolutely no reason to continue complaining.   If I wanted another option for the future, he had just given me the opportunity to control my own future.   I was floored.


I knew this was a golden opportunity.  What I didn’t know, at the time, was 20+ years earlier, he was in the exact same situation and another fraternity brother and attorney did the exact thing for him.  So, Brother Hardaway was paying it forward.


He followed up his statement with the following “You want to make a change.  I am giving you a chance to make one.  It’s up to you if you want it.”


And after a few weeks of contemplation (along with my wife telling me, ‘You said you were thinking about opening a law firm.  Well, stop thinking and do it.’), I gave my two weeks notice.  And on October 1, 2007, the Reeves Law Firm was open for business.


We all will have points in our life where we need someone to force us to take the next step in our personal evolution.  The conversations are not nice but they are not supposed to be nice.  If you are lucky, these conversations will put you on the path to where you are supposed to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I’m Not Trying to Make New Friends After 40 (And Why That’s Okay)

Intro: We’ve all heard someone say, “I’m not trying to make new friends.” On the surface, it can sound antisocial or dismissive. But if you’re in your 40s or beyond, that phrase starts to carry a whole new weight. It’s not about shutting people out—it’s about recognizing the power of relationships that have been built over decades. Listen to the Full Podcast Below:  Listen to "Friends After 40: Why Your Circle Shrinks But Grows Deep" on Spreaker. Friends from the Beginning of Adulthood Friendships you start in your teens or early 20s come with a different energy. These are the people who were there during your first job, first apartment, first heartbreak, first real success. They were becoming adults alongside you. By the time you reach 40, something strange and powerful happens: You’ve now known those friends longer than you haven’t. That changes everything. Why Foundational Friendships Hit Different at 40+ Friendships at this stage aren’t casual. They’ve survive...

The Danger wasn’t always clear: Navigating Racism as Black Generation X

On July 16, 2025, I posted a video short titled “Black Generation X: The Danger Wasn’t Always Clear.” That post came from a deeply personal place. Growing up as part of Generation X meant stepping into environments where the rules around race and safety weren’t always obvious. When I was younger, my family shielded me from the harshest realities. I lived in communities where I was nurtured and protected. I was also part of the first wave of kids who went from kindergarten through high school entirely in desegregated schools. In that space, I don’t recall any overt instances of racism or bigotry. And while that was a blessing, it also left me unprepared—because I didn’t know what danger looked like when it wasn’t wearing a hood or shouting slurs. Once I left home, the uncertainty began. The Barber Who “Couldn’t” \When I arrived at the University of Tampa in the fall of 1987, I needed a haircut before starting ROTC training. I had just completed Army training that summer, so I was ...

Week in Review: Black Gen X in the Shadows and the Spotlight

  Week in Review: Black Gen X in the Shadows and the Spotlight IN THE KNOW with Tony Reeves This past week, I dedicated my daily Shorts to the voices, struggles, and overlooked truths of Black Generation X. We were the first generation to grow up after the Civil Rights Act, but we still faced the burden of racism, stereotypes, and cultural tension. Sometimes, the world said the danger was gone—but we could still feel it. Here’s what this week looked like: 📆 July 11 – When a White Student Said I Was Segregating Myself Reflecting on the tension between integration and identity. 📆 July 12 – No Signs. No Warnings. Just the Same Old Danger A powerful look at the hidden threats Black Gen X still faced. 📆 July 13 – Gen X: Bridging Analog to Digital A generation of transformation—before tech ruled the world. 📆 July 14 – Raised by the Past How the warnings of our parents shaped how we saw the world. 📆 July 15 – Are We Repeating History? Hard questions from a generati...